Monday, May 30, 2005

estoy en Mexico

Ay perdon, pero no se como hacer los diacriticos en esta computadora. Es diferente que las en los estadosunidos. I am having a great time even though everything right down to the computer keyboards are different! My roomate is a really silly sweet girl from IU named Priscilla. We have a lot of fun messing everything up. I have never felt so stupid in my life. We can barely understand or speak with out mother. She talks really really fast. Our sisters (13 and 14) are really silly and nice too though, and they speak english pretty well and they are patient with our spanish.

I already made my first big American mistake by yelling ¨baja!¨on the bus when the driver was going to stop anyway. Everyone stared at me and they all thought I was super stupid. It didn´t help that Priscilla was laughing so hard she looked boracha. She still laughs about it when she thinks about it. Ah mi.


I just found out that I didn´t test into the class that I need for credit but my teacher is bumping me up because I was very close. I guess with a lot of work I can make some decent grades and hopefully learn a little spanish. I already have learned a lot of new phrases and things:

gatitio-kitty
momentito-one moment (please)
si se puede- ¨it can be done¨ or ¨you can do it!¨
horita-right now
disco-club


Anyway, it´s a start. I really feel like I need to focus more on having fun and learning with my family and new friends than stressing too much about school. It´s kind of a different approach for me but maybe that´s because like pesos seem like pretend money, mexican grades don´t seem real.

I haven´t figured out how to post pictures yet, but I will try to work on that this week. There is a lot to learn in general. ay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy-la

Las computadoras en Latinoamerica tienen botones (llaves?) especiales para los diacríticos. Son mucho más fácil que nuestros computadoras. Olvidé el orden que tiene usarlos, pero es fácil.

DWG

Anonymous said...

AMY! you made it! wahoo for you. i am going to work at the summer camp with jen. eek I LOVE YOU(cate)