Monday, July 04, 2005

I was robbed, but everything´s fine

I swear I´m careful, but I was robbed. Here´s the email I wrote to my lovely mom who helped me at 3:30 am when I called and asked her to cancel my debit card.

I´m definitely not letting this ruin my trip because it´s real hard to feel sorry for yourself when you see children desperately trying to sell a rose at 1:30am. I just hope that in fact it was someone like that who robbed me and not the able-bodied Colombian man but who knows, right? Also, although this has been an interesting practice in problem-solving I don´t blame myself at all because I know I was the victim here and to blame myself is wrong. I did (almost) everything in my power, short of turning super-paranoid, to keep my belongings safe and I refuse to feel down on myself for something someone else chose to do to me. I know that I need to be safe and I was in my mind so now I´m just thanking God that I wasn´t hurt and my camara wasn´t stolen. It´s funny, when soemthing bad happens like this for some reason I just think about the good in it even though I´m not by nature a super-dee-duper positive person. Remeber when my car stereo was stolen? At first I just felt violated that that could happen on my own street but then I just kept thinking how glad I was that the window wasn´t broken!
Anyway, the only thing I´m actually worried about now is you being worried about me. PLEASE DON´T. I´m very safe and I have lots of friends and a caring teacher so sleep and eat and be merry.

And here´s the guy we´re pretty sure robbed me.

No comments: