Monday, July 11, 2005

I'm Home...Everyone Relax

Hey everyone,

I made it!
The last day in Cuernavaca was spent walking around the zocalo (after a VERY long night of partying with my Mexican friend and two other Americanos). At 4:00pm we said goodbye to Amaranta and Adam really captured the moment when he said as we were watching her walk away with her cute little backpack and hat, "There goes the coolest person in Mexico." I wanted to cry.

Amaranta had a big impact on me. There ARE feminists in Mexico and I need not assume things about every person in Mexico and say that stuff is just "cultural."

Anyway, after that Priscilla and I went home and slept. When the dentist came home at 9:00 Pris freaked out (cuz he's scary) and turned off the light, hopped into bed and pretended to be sleeping with her jeans on! Freako...

The next day, July 7th, we began our journey home at 9:30 am when we got a taxi. Ok, I still had trouble with spanish after 6 weeks and it was funny when he asked where we were going and I said "The United States." At which point he laughed and said he didn't have a passport for that and didn't think his car would take us there anyway. You see, I thought he already knew we were going to the bus stop and was just making conversation about our final destination. Oh well. Of course Priscilla laughed like a silly cow like when I yelled "BAJA" on the bus even though we were about to stop anyway.

Then, we got to the bus terminal and one of our members left his passport at home and they sent it IN A TAXI ALONE to the bus terminal. Miraculously, he was able to recieve it and jump on the bus as we were pulling out. That's a milagro.

Everything went great and after they searched through my dirty laundry for bombs and found none I was ready to go!

One hour and fifteen minutes later we were ready to land when the captain came on and said that due to the storm over Houston, we would have to wait around in Corpus Christy for awhile. Oh we waited....awhile...
We waited for five hours on that plane and couldn't get off because we were an international flight. The funny thing is, even though we were all very ready to leave, we stayed calm and generally laughed at the situation----that's what six weeks in a country where there are no cash machines, no one takes credit cards, there is no such thing as change for a 500 peso bill (~$50), women can't walk or ride in a taxi alone and the lights turn off for nearly every thunder storm, will do.

Then, we finally left and went through customs in Houston where I addressed the officer like an idiot, "hola buenas noches." idiota. then, she asked me if I had alcohol and I confessed because she had a gun. However, I worked that out by putting it in a friends bag and did the thing I knew I would do. I left it there and now it's in Fort Wayne. Pat James, that's your gift---a very fine bottle of Mexican Mexcal and by golly I will get it back.

We finally got home at 3:30am where my cutsie mom and boyfriend were waiting. It was great! Gosh he's a looker. Um.. so is she.
.....

3 days later I'm back at IU! woo hoo I love this place. Not only did the construction workers say nothing to me, one of them was a woman! (not that I really minded when they whistled at mein Mexico)Amazing. Also, Chris never locks his door. Amazing! Also, I asked 4 different questions at the grocery store because I could. I can communicate with people in the grocery store. Then, I baked a chicken and listened to Mos Def and John Lee Hooker. yummmy.

Okok, I'm going back to Indy this afternoon and we are going to take old state road 37 which should be beautiful. Tina, I can't post pictures here cuz I'm at school but I will try when I get back home.

No comments: